Thursday, March 31, 2016

Take a forkful of cake and call me in the morning.... Fondant Doctor's Coat Cake!

It's been a LONG time since I've used fondant.  Today I had the opportunity to use it to make a doctor's coat cake for the doctors at Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, Maryland.  I was given a copy of the logo and a photo of a cake similar to the one I created.  Thought I'd share the process...

First, you have to ice the cake.  Even though it has fondant on it, the cake underneath is still iced as if it was not going to have fondant on it.  Some people don't eat the fondant.  This allows you to still be able to peel off the fondant and have the cake and icing underneath.  

I used a large piece of parchment paper on my work surface so I wouldn't have to dust the surface.  If you DID want to dust your work surface, I recommend either cornstarch or powdered sugar.

I started by rolling out the white fondant larger than the cake.  When it was completely rolled out, I lifted up the parchment and transferred the fondant to the cake.  Working with a smoothing tool and a knife, I smoothed out the surface and cut off the excess with the knife.  It took a little bit of effort to miter the corners.

To start the shirt, I took a piece of fondant and kneaded some teal color into it.  Once I got it colored to the desired hue, I rolled it out and started cutting the pieces for the shirt.  The body of the shirt itself came first, then the collar.
Kneading color into the white fondant.

Shirt and collar complete.
Next I went back to the white fondant and created the lapels of the coat, one piece at a time...four pieces total.
The right lapel, pieces one and two....
Left lapel, pieces three and four.
Up-close view of the "stitching" on the coat.
To create the "top stitching" on the coat, I used some of the wonderful tools Wilton has made available for fondant work.  See below for a photo of a few of the tools...
Tools for fondant work from Wilton
Rolling pin with silicone sleeve.
Next comes the pocket.  I used the wheel to do the top stitching on it too!
Pocket added!
Now some details...like buttons and top stitching on the shirt.

Buttons and stitching added!
Now for some sculpting and rolling to create a stethoscope.  Once each piece is created, a paint brush and some black icing coloring gel is used to paint the black pieces.  Then the silver parts are painted with the use of silver luster dust and some rum!  The rum and the dust creates the silver "paint."
Brushing the paint (icing gel color) on the stethoscope parts.
After allowing a little time to dry, it's time to place the stethoscope on the cake.
Stethoscope added!
Now a buttercream border completes the cake....
Reverse shell border added
To finish out the cake, the logo was recreated in buttercream.
Logo in buttercream
The actual logo...which looked teal on my phone but looks blue here!
And a few final photos of the cake once completed....
Done!
A closeup of the stethoscope!
Boxed and ready to be delivered to the hospital!!!
I've been having a rough couple of weeks, and I really needed the "shot in the arm" that this cake provided today.  I haven't played with fondant in a long time.  I went into it with NO FEAR and just enjoyed working with it.  Before I knew it, it was finished and I hadn't run into any stumbling blocks.  I just might rethink using fondant in the future....

No comments:

Post a Comment